Featured post

Beneath the Microscope

I don't know if you've read my blog on what it takes to be ready for a job interview, if you haven't well you're in luck bec...

Tuesday 2 August 2016

APPLY FOR A JOB INTERVIEW HERE

You know that feeling you get when you are called in for a job interview after you've sent in your CV. You're ecstatic that you were called in the first place, you're probably already planning what you will wear for the interview and how much you will ask for when asked - be honest, money has become a big deal these days.


So, that's the first reaction for some people until the D-day draws near and you start getting the nerve guest. You begin questioning your qualifications and if you are fit for the job. You go online to do more research and would probably overload your brain before you're done and then the interviewer would probably just ask you 10% of what you've studied. But hey, better to be prepared than to fail to prepare yea?


So I became one of you the other day as I've never officially had to go for an interview since I graduated last year. I was excited that I had gotten to the face-to-face interview stage. On my way to the office, I kept imagining all the possible and impossible things that could go wrong and before I even entered the building I had already finished the interview in my head.


BE PREPARED. Research! Research! Research! I got favoured by one of the Staff who gabe me a mental boost on what to expect and she called me down a bit - I was still a nerve wreck inside. So I grabbed my smartphone the moment she left and started researching again because 60% of what she told me about the company sounded like gibberish.

BE PUNCTUAL I went up stairs when it was time for interview. Remember, be punctual because being early gave me time to calm down a bit.

BE FRIENDLY I went into the Human Resource department and greeted the Staff there. Then I sat down and my legs began to dance to a rhythm of their own. They were shaking so badly. I needed to keep myself busy so I brought out my updated CV and just kept reading it like it were some sort of novel.

BE CONFIDENT AND HUMBLE / It's possible, trust me. Finally, it was time for you know what. I walked in, tried to answer the questions I was asked to the best of my knowledge. I asked for clarification when I didn't comprehend what I was being asked. It was not easy but they all had smiles stamped on their faces so I was glad I wasn't dealing with Godzilla in human clothes. I felt like I was blabbing sometimes but I kept going. It began well until.......

DRESS APPROPRIATELY I was advised not to wear a cut-off shirt for an interview. That shook me a bit because I almost started chanting "I've failed" in my head but then again I felt encouraged to move on and I did. Just remember not to make my mistake during your interview.

I haven't been absolutely helpful but I'm sure you've learnt one or two things. My fingers are still crossed and my faith is intact because I was told I'd hear from the HR department later. Hopefully, I'd get back to you with a great news of how I've gotten a better job. I'm not presently unemployed but I'd love to move on to a new and challenging environment. I like waka waka, new things, excitement, growth, change, etc. I'm Plain Sarah. XOXO

Do leave your comments, I'd love to hear from you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah. This is Chinedu Orisakwe from Starfied, Faith's friend
    Wow...u may not be an expert on interviews like falz YET, but dis sure did teach some things. Would be going for a sorta interview 2mao, to face a professor, who happens to be the Dean of Engineering in a university. I sure trust the Holy Spirit to help me apply all these. Nice one girl.
    An introvert who likes to write huh...nice to know u've found part of ur reason for being on earth. I wish you the best, love. May you continue in the wisdom of the Father. I may nt b able to come bk here to see a reply...if I cnt, do inbox me on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...just in case, I could help with the editing, per adventure u need a hand in dat aspect. God loves you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chinedu. It's so great to get in touch with you again after all these while. You're not only Faith's friend but mine too 😋. I do need help editing cos I don't like reading what I've posted until I'm done. I like writing and making my words flow. So yea, I will definitely need your help. Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm glad this helped 😉

      Delete

Share your thought